The Skillbuilders Occupational Therapy team offers extensive experience, practical skills and empathy in working with children.
Our diverse range of specialties across the Occupational Therapy field includes:
- Early intervention for babies and toddlers
- Specific therapeutic interventions for primary and high school students experiencing difficulties at school.
- Assisting children with sensory processing difficulties affecting their behaviour, play, independence and/or general development
- Assisting families with babies/ children with mealtime concerns
- Working with children with a specific diagnosis eg. Autism/Aspergers, Cerebral Palsy, Dyspraxia, Fragile X, Downs Syndrome or global developmental delay (we are panel providers for Working with Children with Autism and the Better Start Programmes, as well as for the National Disability Insurance scheme).
Why do some children need Occupational Therapy?
Children and their families may benefit from Occupational Therapy assistance focused on the following areas of identified need:
- ‘Babies and toddlers on the go’: Early movement skills, eating skills, routines, play.
- ‘Pen to paper’: Drawing and writing difficulties, spelling, reading, and written expression. Kindy to ATAR.
- ‘Fluent movement’: Coordination, balance, control.
- ‘Tricky fingers’: Fine motor difficulties and independence skills.
- ‘Getting in a muddle’: Organisational skills for in the classroom and at home.
- ‘Making sense of your senses’: Sensory processing skills for learning and everyday living.
- ‘Leaping before looking’: Concentration skills, planning, completing tasks
Other specific reasons for referral to Occupational Therapy include:
- Anxiety and other mental health concerns
- Mealtime management
- Joint pain, eg with Juvenile Arthritis
- Post botox rehabilitation
- School visits and Day Care visits to support access, learning and participation
- Equipment prescription and sourcing
Occupational Therapy services are provided either at our centres, at your home, or at your child's school or Day Care Centre. The decision as to where services are provided is made with parents and is based primarily on the child’s needs, also taking into account practical and logistical considerations.
Book an appointment or download our Occupational Therapy Brochure below
Occupational Therapy Group Programmes
Click on the links below to find out about the fabulous small group programmes being offered by our Occupational Therapists:
Move Write 2 Learn
For children in Kindy to Year 2, these groups are designed to boost children's gross and/or fine motor skills, handwriting, literacy and story writing.
This programme introduces children to strategies to help them cope with various social situations, enabling them to practice in a comfortable, safe environment. These groups have usually been for primary school aged children, however we have a new programme starting now as well for younger children (4 - 6 year olds)
The Three R's (Regulation, Resilience, and Relationships)
This group is for our Littlies - for 2-4 year olds. It aims to prepare children for more structured learning environments at Kindy and Pre-Primary and promotes fine motor, gross motor, language, social and play skills. Superstars runs on Mondays 9.30 to 11.30am at Cockburn Central.
This group is a similar programme to the Superstars group with an Occupational Therapist and Speech Therapist leading the group. It is designed for children in PP and Year 1 who benefit from a small intensive group programme.
Our 'Squad Training' is a movement skills programme for children aged 5-12. The programme is especially for children with motor learning difficulties of any description and helps with development of strength, balance and coordination.
Bike Riding Group
Our group focuses on improving children's bike skills and confidence. This programme helps develop balance and strength in a way that is functional and fun.
Mindful movement is a group programme designed and facilitated by our Occupational Therapist and adaptive Yoga instructor. This group will teach your child fun, empowering and accessible movement, breath and mindfulness.
Please note: Group times and days vary from term to term depending on the availability of the children participating, and the therapists.